I made some pickled red cabbage with a nice head of "Red" cabbage that Laura Zufelt gave me. She bought it for a Relief Society dinner, but ended up not needing it. It looks really pretty and tastes pretty good on sandwiches and in Salads.
We played "Three of these things belong together" with cucumbers and zucchini squash. Most people can grow abundant zucchini. I cannot. But I'm glad for what we do get. However, my neighbor, Brooke, CAN grow lots of huge zucchini and gave me one. I grated it up and froze four packages for later use in Frittatas or zucchini bread or something. And I made four loaves of Zucchini bread. WITH whole wheat and half the oil (subbed applesauce for half the oil). I thought they turned out pretty good.
There have been enough raspberries by picking twice a week, watering like crazy AND fertilizing them, as well as trimming away the dead and dying canes that occasionally we can have raspberries and cream. Last weekend there was actually a day named "National Raspberrys and Cream Day" in the USA. How apropro. Note is IS a small bowl.
Mike got sick last week with a really really bad head cold. He started with it on Tuesday night (when Aunt Tuny was still here!!) with the beginnings of a sore throat. It just continued to progress. He thought it felt like he did when he had Covid. A couple of times. He stayed home on Wednesday morning from our regular temple office shift. That just meant I had to work extra hard since he wasn't there. I stayed after my shift and kept my other appointments to do other ordinances (but cancelled his appointments). He felt lousy for a solid WEEK. Plus. He also missed out Second Saturday assigned office shift, so I did that one on my own, too. And he missed this week's Wednesday shift, too. Still just a wee bit cloggy, cough-y and snotty. He is feeling improved. Much. But the other lady working in the Temple office came to work with HER cold, or the remains of it! That was this morning on Thursday, while I subbed for someone on their early morning shift. Oh well. Mike figures that's probably where he caught his in the first place -- the Temple. I sure hope I don't get it too. I've been avoiding Mike like the plague this whole past week. I've even slept in the guest room.
Still doing the Medicaid Dance. We've submitted, we've paid, we've waited. We've called and waited, called and had questions answered and have been left with more questions. It seems like this is more than complicated, and EXPENSIVE, too!! She has to pay her rent there. Every month. But she doesn't make enough for that. AND she has to pay a large Spend Down to Medicaid in order to qualify for Medicaid insurance in order to apply for the State Waiver through Medicaid for housing. The first Medicaid she qualified for (with the spend down of $2,303!! More than half her rent and nearly everything she brings in monthly) is for insurance and all that paid money brought back to her was an extra $204 into her SSA check. That hardly balances the fact that she makes $3,000 a month and is required to pay over $7,000 a month to various entities!!! I'm rather frustrated and bewildered. How is this really supposed to work?? How, indeed . . . we must wait. As I understand it, the next step is that Utah Case Management will send a nurse to evaluate Mom. Then they'll decide if she can qualify for the housing waiver. In the meantime, we keep shelling out money, loaning her money, giving her money (for Our House and For the Spend down). When does it end? We'll probably never be paid back, either. It is getting close to the point of saying, "Never mind. We'll move her in with us." Again.
And we have had some RAIN!! It has been so nice. Not a lot. like a 1/10th of an inch here, a quarter of an inch there. But it adds up, AND it keeps our lawn watered. We have had some VERY hot days in July and August, so this little respite of rain and coolness has been nice
Utah Shakespeare Festival is going strong. I've been ushering. I have to go three times this week. I'll see my fourth play tonight, "Something Rotten" since I'm assigned to stay late. We'll see how it compares to the Stage Door production with our lovely Eric as a star. I've seen "Twelfth Night" twice, "Book Club," "She Loves Me" twice. I've yet to see "See How They Run," "Hamlet," and "Frankenstein." Maybe one other . . . Oh yes. Shakespeare's "Troilus and Cressida." Not even sure I want to see that one. I'm not assigned to ever usher on that one and that's fine with me. I'd kind of like to see "Hamlet," but I don't think I was assigned that one, either.






No comments:
Post a Comment