Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Giddy With Glee

A friend suggested that title and it fits. That's the way I feel ALMOST every day on my way home, or just randomly thinking about going home after a long day at work. Then after work comes water aerobics (not for wusses) AND the bike ride home, uphill, against the wind, in the snow...okay, so I'm milking it just a tad. But I really don't get home from work until about 6:30 pm.

It's what I FIND once I get home that makes me giddy with glee...

Dinner! All ready and usually on the table and ready to eat! A delicious, nutritious, home-cooked meal. Gail has been doing the week night cooking and I have just LOVED it! I can't even describe how happy this arrangement makes me. (Well, except maybe "Giddy with Glee!")

It's not that I don't like to cook. I do. And I can. It's just that she's here and she offered. So I took her up on it. The good part for HER is that I clean it all up afterwards and load the dishwasher, etc. And that's just fine with me. I suppose there will be some days when a crabby baby will trump getting dinner on the table, but for the nights that it has happened, it's been great.

She makes economical meals, too. And she uses up our bounteous food storage. And she shops. If you know how much I hate to shop, then you'll appreciate THAT, too! Of course, I watch the baby so she can go late at night and not take ANYONE with her, so that's a treat for her, too.

We've had MahiMahi; Bacon, Leek and Tomato pasta; Chicken Fingers; spaghetti with meatballs; roast with trimmings and many other yummy things. She likes Paula Deen recipes and likes to try new ones. She's also working in a kitchen that's not her own kitchen with stuff that isn't up to par with what she's used to, but that GAIL--She's up to the challenge, I'm tellin' you! Of course, it's not like it 's a totally strange kitchen or anything. She did learn to cook SOME things here once upon a time.

I think this might just work out fine.

4 comments:

Gail said...

Um, it's Rachael Ray recipes that I like trying. But, I do like Paula Deen, too. Maybe I'll start trying hers next!

Suzanne said...

Sounds like a good and fair arrangement for all. Bon appetit! (spelling?)

Donna said...

Uhm... can *I* move in too?
I get someone to cook for me every other night... but I don't think that our Taco Bell (ah - hemmmm, you get what you get and don't throw a fit, so, yes, if I don't fetch, it counts), corn dogs and tatter tots just don't compare...
guess I should be more "up" for the challenge as I don't go to water aerobic, bike or anything of the sort!!

Hali said...

Yes, "giddy with glee" is quite fitting. Go Gail!

(Ps... I still think you should send her my way.)