Saturday, July 30, 2011

Good Read

I read a delightful, yet though-provoking novel. The Help by Kathryn Stockett. It was a really captivating look at the hired help in Jackson, Mississippi during the Civil Rights time period. It's written in southern dialect, has wonderful character development and a great plot. I recommend it. I took it home with me on Thursday, but didn't open it until Friday evening around 9 p.m. Reading in the hammock in my back yard is one of my most favorite things. I was wishing it would stay light longer. I moved inside away from mosquitos and where there was light. I could not put it down. I FORCED myself to go to bed at 1:45 because I knew I wanted to get up early to make lunch for Mike and his mom for their day trip to Midway. I thought I'd go back to bed after they left at 6:30 a.m. But, no. I started reading again, read for 3 hours or so, and just had to finish up the last 50 or so pages at work this morning. Find a copy. I think you'll like it, too.

5 comments:

Hali said...

In 9 more days I can start reading non-textbook books, and that's at the TOP of the list! Thanks for the recommendation :-)

Suzanne said...

That's my next book. I've heard such good things about it!

Suzanne said...

That's my next book. I've heard such good things about it!

Gail said...

I want to see the movie first - it's coming out soon. Then I'll read the book. That way I won't be disappointed with the movie after reading the wonderful book. And if the movie is really good, I won't be disappointed with the book because the books are always at least a little bit better than the movie. That's my theory, anyway.

Donna said...

I think I'm one of the ONLY one's in my family that can still enjoy a movie if it's from a book that I loved. I liked the golden compass even though it was a huge departure from the book(s) same with Harry Potter in the end... and Twilight.. it was close enough. Maybe it helps that memory is soooo bad? Yeah, I'm sure it does!