Saturday, August 19, 2017

A Sweet Ride


Once upon a time (sometime earlier this month), I went on a bike ride on my way home from work to return a book to the public library across town and had some bicycle mechanical difficulties on the way home. And I had to walk home. Mike didn't answer his phone. Eric didn't answer his phone.  Ugh. So I walked from about 200 north, 300 west all the way home.  But I'm a big girl and it didn't kill me.

I parked the bike in the garage and kind of forgot to tell any one about my bike woes since I think we all had things going on that night or something. But when I went into the garage to get on my bike to go to work the following day--whoops!  There was my broken bike! So I plopped it upside down right in front of the back door so anyone coming or going had to pay attention and move it to get in to get in or out of the house. Or trip and fall over it. Or, rather, so they would be reminded to put it in the truck and take it to the Bike Shop for repairs. The rear tire was kind of wiggly, rubbing the frame weird, and had some strange wearing on the side walls. I drove the car to work. (Did I mention we have a new car?) It is easy to drive during the month of August after all the summer sessions are over because nobody is around on campus and there's plenty of parking.

Mike took my broken bike to the shop for me on that Thursday, sweet guy that he his. (Did I mention he does dishes, too?) I drove the car on Thursday and got a ride from Mike on Friday. The bike shop called me Friday morning to say it was fixed. I walked up there on my lunch break to pick it up, paid for my new tire. I hopped on, left the shop, and got to the light just one building away from the bike shop (200  South and Main Street), went to cross the street and had the same problem!  The rear tire was rubbing and crooked. Again. I walked it back into the shop and said, "I think I broke my bike."  He determined that I must have a broken axle.  So I left it there with him and then kind of waffled about walking back, being late, calling the office....he offered me a loaner bike until he could get it done--probably before closing. So I took him up on it. 

That's the bike (above). Cute, huh? He adjusted the seat and sent me on my way. I got to the intersection and went to stop at MAIN STREET.  Busy Main street at the noon hour and --  it's a cruiser and there are NO HAND BRAKES. Yikes!  I had a split second or two of pure panic as I headed closer and closer to the busy intersection with my fingers grabbing desperately for hand brakes that were not there--anywhere!!!....How Am I Going To Stop This Thing!?!?!?!?!? Then the brain clicked in and said, "Back pedal with your feet, stupid!" So I did and stopped before I hit traffic. Literally.

I practiced braking all the way back to the library. I mean, there IS a big down hill just before the campus driveway I needed to turn into. It would not have been good to miss my turn. ha.  But I made it, and even got it all done on my lunch hour. And I made it back to pick up my own bike just before he closed at 5:30.  Except I left my bike lock on the loaner and had go ride back up there yet another day and retrieve it.

But my bike is fixed, the new tire works well, the axle is replaced and I'm good to go.  But not good enough to ride 60 K up and over a big mountain on a dirt road, thank you very much.  Just toodleing around town is good enough for me.  As long as the axle doesn't BRAKE. pun intended ;-)

No comments: