Saturday, August 19, 2017

August 19. Fire Road

This is what I left behind on a Saturday morning.  Well, MOST mornings my kitchen looks like this, actually. I don't care for dishes much. But Mike does them often.
We left them behind in the morning of the 19th to go and help with the mountain bike race called "Fire Road".  60 or 100 KM of MOUNTAIN biking. Yikes. You should see how steep those hills are. I would absolutely die.  We have to have our truck in four wheel drive to get up it! Amazing athletes.
There they go!
There were some helpers on ATV's, too. We had nice chats with them between bike racers.
Our aid station was the first, after about 12 miles of biking.  We provided (well, the race organizers provided it....we just served it!) water and energy drink and some snacks if they they wanted. Some just pedaled on past!

The guy in the yellow and red stood there long enough for at least two people to go past him. But he was getting a refill. Many of the ones who went past us had camelback water containers.
All the men there (except for Mike) were ex-Navy sailors.
Our crew. Lovely view, isn't it?
And the clouds were just so nice an puffy on our drive up there.  Lovely day.
I have a good friend, Athena, who is a beekeeper in New Hampshire. (She's the reason I get to travel to Istanbul next month for a week.)  She refers to her hives as "her girls."  Now I do, too. Well, I don't have HIVES, but we have so many bees out in our raspberry patch. It's just lovely. We're growing a really good crop this season. I'm excited to have the berries ripen.
One night last week at the Utah Shakespeare Festival, on a night I was a volunteer Usher, there was some rain. So much rain that they didn't do the greenshow before the show.  But this was a portion of the absolutely vibrant and gorgeous rainbow that followed.  Spectacular. And the show went on!

No comments: