Monday, September 4, 2017

Dog Days of Summer

 Summer will be ending soon. I'm kind of sad.  But I have been very HAPPY about the peaches that came off our tree!  This is the last bowl full I picked this morning. They are small, but oh-so-yummy. I only bottled a dozen quarts and we've eaten all the rest.

I know that summer is ending because it's time for the Iron County Fair. Berenice entered some paintings. She won ribbons on both of them. She got a sweepstakes purple ribbon for a painting of Zion canyon and a yellow "Judges Choice" ribbon for the waterfall painting she did.

On the drive home, I was thinking that I should have entered my weaving of Twin Islands in the fair.  I kind of thought it turned out cute.  Or maybe my "Ella Witch" fabric collage from last Spring's class.  Oh, well. Too late, now.  I wouldn't have had time to take it over and enter it on the proper day.  I didn't even end up going with Berenice to enter her paintings--we had Eric do it instead.

******              *****************                    *****************              **********

Random stuff to make my kids laugh. Or be embarrased. Or perhaps *I* should be the one who is embarrased!

I noticed when getting a drink while brushing my teeth that my bathroom cup matched my shirt. Perfectly.  And here's a picture to prove it.
 And summer days and nights ARE hot. Eric walked by and thought this was cute so he took of picture of us laying in our messy bedroom, napping on Sunday afternoon/evening. While holding hands. I asked him to try to NOT include the clutter.  Welp, that's pretty much impossible in my house.
 If that box (photo below) of an Atari Video computer system from early 1970's really does have an Atarie Video Computer System in it, would it be worth any money? Like, you know, as an antique-y  sort of thing?  It's out in the fruit room at Mike's Mom's house, way up on a top shelf. I just happened to notice it when I was putting some canned peaches out there. I remember playing PONG!  I really do. I am that old, and it was really that fun. :-)  Truly.
 Below are some photos of the O. C. Tanner Amphitheater in Sprindale, Utah.  Eric obtained tickeds for a free concert by the Utah Symphony and Mike and I and some of Eric's friends joined him.  The Symphony was touring the state in a few days, hitting a few rural areas, and our area was one.  Well, Springdale is not as close as Cedar Breaks, and that was one other venue they were doing with a small chamber ensemble the next night or so.  It's a fast tour over about 4 days, but really fun-sounding.
 I had never been to the Springdale Amphitheater before, and it's been on  my bucket list for quite some time.  Perhaps August is not the best time to see an outdoor performance down by  Zion National Park, as it was scorchingly hot, but we survived. I attempted some selfies, but my rear camera is partially obscured by my screen protector (it was my first time applying one to that size of a device), so most photos were dull and fuzzy.  But the one below is clear because I peeled back the screen protector for at least one clear shot of the rocks, etc.  The concert was great.  I do love the symphony and the Utah Symphony is superb.  Thanks to Eric for sharing tickets and letting us share that experience. We went on August 29, Damian's Birthday. So that's how we celebrated his birthday! ha.




Below: I think this is one of the first bowls of peaches that I picked.

Another thing we did last week was attend the Cinema. Mike and I went on Friday September 1 to see "Dunkirk."  Good show.  Very intense war film, but we liked it. We even had popcorn!  Two dates in one week.

I was assigned to stay late at the Utah Shakespeare Festival for my ushering shift on Saturday night, s. I got to see for the first time "Shakespeare in Love."  They did a good job with it and I liked it. It was cute.  I have managed to see almost everything I wanted to see this season.  There's only a few more days left, so I may not ever get a chance to see "Treasure Island." I think it closes this week. I even have two more vouchers left.  AND, I have access through work to get two free tickets because I work at SUU. Tuesday or Wednesday for "Shakespeare in Love" or "Romeo and Juliet". Any takers? I'd like to see the "Long Lost First Play by William Shakespeare", too.  Oh, so many plays, so little time.

We'd really like to squeeze in a trip to the temple this week, too.  It closes in St. George for maintenance on the 11th of this month.

The 11th.  Of September.  Two weeks prior to that, as I checked out books in the Library, I'd really have to stop  . . . and try NOT to say, "Thanks! Your books are Due September 11th" and instead say "two weeks". Or anything besides "September 11." It still just makes my heart hurt to say those words.

But I LOVE checking out items on March 1, because then when I tell them their books area due March 15 and "beware the ides of March," well, it's worth the one or two smiles it evokes during the course of the day.  But really, just one or two?  It should be way funnier than that, right? ;-)
And I am just a Shakespeare nerd this time of year.  Peachy!

No comments: