Sunday, August 5, 2018

Butterly Whisperer and July 2018 random photos


Grandpa is a butterfly whisperer!

How I spend my evenings (and some Saturdays). I put up six more pints of beans on 8/4/18.  Ushered at Utah Shakespeare Festival that night. Mike attended two wedding receptions that evening without me.

These aren't the actual fruits from the "over-the-wall" apricot tree, but I have picked many, bottled many and jammed many.  It has been such a tender mercy to ME that they did not ripen all at the same time. I was able to pick an area of the tree about every week or so and preserve the fruit without being totally overwhelmed. That was really nice. Large amounts all at once really overwhelm me.


Our beans have done so well this year!! We have eaten, shared, and preserved.


July 31, Mike had an appointment for his knee replacement surgery follow up. We don't have any fires in OUR area, but smoke was pouring in from somewhere. We think California. Normally, above, you can see the cliffs of Zion National Park ahead and on the right. Nothing but smoke and one big thunderhead over the road. We have been having occasional rain showers at night, so that's been wonderful and keeping our lawns alive and green. 


The celery in this backyard blue pot doesn't look much different than when I planted it. But the eggplant in the pot (left side) actually has about a 4 " eggplant on it! I planted a wildflower seed mix in there, too.  Sunflowers came up :-( Not my preferred wild flower, thanks anyway.

I tried transplanting my day lily from the weedy ground to a pot. Left. Didn't take it too well. But those other surviving little plants are doing okay in the planter.  It's not the mass of zennias I'd wanted (and planted, but the ants ate them), but at least they have some blooms.

Looking north.

Looking South.

You might not be able to see it because leaves are hiding part, but the Anaheim peppers I planted are thriving. I've stuffed some in the form of chili rellano, and have roasted, diced and frozen quite a few. They are great in soups, omelets, chile, cassaroles. And we've shared some, too.

The tomatoes are starting to ripen, finally. They will be my focus over the next several weeks.  I plan to bottle plain and to do Italian stewed tomatoes. Maybe some salsa, but I like store bought salsa better than my bottled recipe.





No comments: