Saturday, August 11, 2018

Water Colors at Cedar Breaks

It ended up being very cloudy that day. We actually got rained out from our Overlook area of Cedar Breaks. We were at Chessman Ridge. Above is a view of the meadow at the top of Cedar Mountain where the Cedar Breaks turn off is. 

A couple of weeks ago, I signed up for an art Adventure programs through the local Museum of Art. A local lady who taught school for 35 years and then became a professional artist was the teacher. She was a lot of fun. Her name is Mona Woolsey. She is quite talented, demonstrated some things, and then walked around to give pointers to those of us who were giving it a go. The art museum supplied all of our art supplies, Plus water to drink while we were there. It was a really fun outing. I am glad I went. There were only about 13 or 14 of us. Chessmen point, where we painted, is quite a small Lookout area. I would have preferred to try to paint the meadow across the street, but there was not enough time to do both.

Some pretty wild flowers at the Cedar Breaks turn off. It was sunny when we first went up there at 10 a.m.

After we were rained out at Cedar Breaks, Mike picked me up-- he had gone for a drive and stopped to read his book in a 'shady holler" while we had our workshop--and we drove on over to Panguitch. Panguitch Lake, that is. There was an art and Folk Festival going on there at the LDS chapel and parking lot. Only wildflowers are growing in the yard and Landscaping of the church there at Panguitch Lake. It is a fairly new chapel. And the wildflowers were spectacular. I wanted to stop for a picture on our way out, but since it was raining and hailing, Mike didn't think about stopping, and I didn't remind him. 
Mike's friend, Larry, had an art booth. We said Hi, and then ate our picnic lunch there. We had a nice chat with the people sharing our picnic table under the shade. And out of the threatened rain! It never did rain on us there. Well, not yet, anyway. It was chasing us from Cedar Breaks. 

After we left the Art/Music Festival, we drove down to see Panguitch Lake. It is a little low. And it started to hail on us while we were there. We took shelter in the truck under a spruce tree. The hail only got to be marble-sized. Above is one of the marbles that landed on the armrest in the truck ( my window was down.). When the falling hail shrunk to pea-sized, we headed on our way back home.

This is the only view of Cedar Breaks that I brought home with me. And it is a very tiny view of it. It is as yet unfinished. I think I am not really a watercolourist. I am just a wannabe. The workshop was supposed to last from 10 a.m. until 1 p.m. . We made it until about 12:30 before we had to pack up and leave the Overlook because of rain, and threatening lightning. We( Mike and I) planned to picnic in Cedar Breaks, but that did not work out.

Once home, a nap in the hammock for me! Of course it was not raining in Cedar City. The rain never really fell very hard up on the mountain. It is only cloudy in Cedar City, but at least the temperatures have lowered a little. It was only 85 instead of 95 or 97 degrees Fahrenheit.. So hot. The mountain was a nice respite from the Heat.

Below.
I think I am going to regret not being more thorough about thinning my apple tree. I was mostly depending on the Wind to do it. Cedar City's wind is pretty predictable that way. Haha. But this time it did not work for me. The tree is so overloaded that branches are about ready to break and the apples are not even mature yet. They will all be extra small this year because of the excess amount of fruit on the tree. It is a good reminder to me of the importance of thinning.

No comments: