Thursday, September 8, 2022

More apple stuff

 


First you collect apples. Lots and lots of apples. Big ones, small ones, bruised ones, wormy ones. I have yet to see even a dozen "nice" ones up to this point. They are all falling off our tree and I'm so sad. And mad. Because I didnt spray them well or properly this year. So my fridge is full of apples. Bags and bags and bags of apples. I'm missing having a second fridge about now. There is little room for anything besides apples. Most of our married life we have had a spare fridge.



Every day my sink is full of apples. Washing, sorting, refrigerating.


And then peeling and coring and slicing. So many peels! Chicken feed galore. Our neighbor's chickens are lucky, indeed.


Then into the dehydrators. I have these two and keep them full most days. It takes about an hour of hard work to fill ONE of them with slices. It takes time to empty them, too. Some dry faster than others, so I consolidate the ones that require more time. So tedious.


This is the end result. Days of work for a little bundle of stuff.

Can I be done yet? 

We really need the fruit to stay ON the tree until ready to be picked. They are best after a nip of frost-- it just sweetens them up. Plus, Mike really wants to juice a bazillion or so. He and neighbors have been brainstorming about hydraulic apple presses. Should be interesting.
IF there's any apple left!

Update, 9/17/22. Here is the current stack of dried apples in baggies. Quite a stack, eh?









No comments: