Sunday, June 4, 2023

June 3 Saturday Skagway (updated)

 Friday evening after our dinner together at the Asian Restaurant Silk (we were NOT well-pleased with that one, for a change, but I'd go back for a few of the items), we all -- except Mike, went to the multi-purpose room on deck 13 to play games. We played, drank sodas, watched the sun set, saw mountains and clouds glide by, Janet took an amazing photo of the sunset WITH the Moon.  The ship was still passing through rolling waters, but the trip is mild for being out in the ocean on a large vessel. I really like this. ha.  We probably stayed up too late.  We do tend to get a bit silly after 10 pm...

We played 5 Crowns and Bears and Bees. I actually won at 5 Crowns!  (By one point)


Mike and I BOTH slept in Late today!  We woke up earlier, like around 5 or so to use the bathroom, but I went back to sleep and slept until about 8:10!  That means I missed my 7 am morning stretch in the workout room. Oh well!  It IS vacation, after all.


We got up and ready and out the door to go do some trivia in the Atrium area, but had breakfast in the buffet first. Omelet for me, eggs for Mike.  We had reservations for an excursion on a tour bus (smaller, shuttle size) to see the White Pass and town.  But Donna and Butch and Robert and Janet were going to walk into the town of Skagway, so I went with them.  Mike was feeling OK this morning, but didn't want to push it since we had to go out later. Our reservation was at 1 pm.

 

I enjoyed exploring Skagway. They have a GREAT Park Service Visitor's Center which I enjoyed very much. Only I'm sad becasue I missed the film by one minute. The historical photos and displays of the Klondike and Yukon Gold Rush were just amazing and I was thoroughly entertained.  We wandered through a few shops.  Then Donna and Robert (and their spouses) decided to get tickets for the train ride up to White Pass. I think.  I guess our shuttle just went to the Summit, not to the Pass like the train. In either case, tickets purchased in town at the depot were half what they were as offered by Norwegian (which is why I did not buy them for me and Mike in advance--they were over $200 each, I think!)  But we ALL rode up the canyon, into the mountains and into the snow and fog and rain.  The train was from about 12 to 3; the shuttle ride was from 1:15 to 2:45 or so.


When I walked back to the ship to pick up Mike at 12:45 or so, it was cloudy and windy. By the time we went out 15 minutes later to board our shuttle bus, it was windy AND rainy!  So different from when the rest of us walked into town earlier, around 10am. It was lovely, then--no wind!


The train people got to see a bear on the side of the train tracks and Robert even got a good video of it and lots of other lovely views.  I only took a few photos. But WE got to go into Canada! ha.  (Far enough in that passports were required.)  And Mike and I were really impressed by our driver and narrator. He explained a lot about the area during the Gold Rush year, the topography, the climate, the people.  It was a very fun and interesting ride and I'm glad we decided to do it at the last minute--just the day before. Now, after having walked into the town and seeing all the other tour operators there, we could have probably gotten a far better deal, but I'm okay with what we did.  


We also enjoyed watching the tide roll in.  When we got into the port, it was just starting. The gangway was at a good slant; by the time we returned, the tide had risen many feet and the gangway was VERY steep to walk up!!  Mike and I met Donna by the elevator while we were on our way to our room and she and Robert and Janet and I and Mike all went to the Buffet for hot cocoa and a snack to tide us over till dinner tonight at Cagney's, the steak house and our "specialty dining" experience we paid for. 


I'm guessing it will most likely be games again tonight.  The ship is scheduled to leave port while we are eating dinner (kind of like two nights ago) so I hope we get window seats.  The Asian Restaurant did not have good views last night.  But they did have good egg rolls and pot stickers!











Reindeer food! The gray on the left is lichens. This is just low stuff growing in parking lot gravel.


Frozen lake, stunted trees, lichens. Cold!



We actually went INto Canada. Has to go further in to turn around because of clouds and poor visibility.

I did NOT win the Lotto onboard. Zero numbers out of about 25. 


I'm getting better at selfies. Took this after the evening show.










No comments: