Wednesday, December 20, 2017

Tuesday the 19th of December

Since we all went to bed fairly early on Monday evening (no TV to watch, not much light to read by, old, tired bones), some of us woke up early. I slept in. ha.  Nah, we got up and going around 7:30 and I got busy juicing more tangelos for our breakfast. I planned to have smoothies, but we really didn't have a whole lot of stuff for them. We each had 1/4 of a really delicious papaya, and about 6 oz of Tangelo/banana/papaya smoothie.  We had pineapple/banana bread. Kay came running in and out, sat with us for a while, invited in a local fellow who was doing yard work for her today. I think Kay is ADHD. She seldom finishes a sentences and runs around in circles doing something and then something else.  Maybe a bit of OCD, too.  She is a sweet lady and very hyper, very helpful, very artistic, very scattered. And generous.  Did I mention she's just letting us stay here for free? And we can eat anything in the house.  So far, it's been lots of citrus and some granola bars, some chips she brought by, and some cookies.

After breakfast, I went outside with her to learn where I should dump the compost. It's past the rental next door, across the street, through the lava bed field on a path towards the plumaria trees.  Then I have to rinse it in the yard with a hose.  Reasonable enough.  While were were out, I picked star fruit to bring in.  Those are yummy and good for you.  Ugh. The tree was full of spider webs.  Shiver.  I sliced up some of those and prepared others for the fridge that had bird pecks on them. I just cut off the bird pecks and put the rest in the fridge for tomorrow.  The birds like the ripest ones, too. Those star fruits have more seeds than I remember them having in past years.  They kind of taste like a watery pear or mild apple. Mostly water.

 The lava bed across the sreet where the compost is dumped by the plumeria trees Kay planted. You can see her reddish house just past the brown one. Both are here.
Interesting wiring options.

Ferns growing in lava rock.

Cute little succulents growing out of rocks on the path to the plumeria teees/compost.

Better view of the houses.


Grounds and gard around the house.


I did a little cookie bagging for Kay later in the morning. She does the Farmer's Market with a booth of baked goods and other things on Wednesday, Friday and Saturday. This day, she had Mexican Wedding Cookies she'd baked previously and they needed powder sugar coating, placed in clear plastic clamshell boxes 4 ounces at a time, the box taped shut, then the box placed into a bag. I did that for a couple of hours out in her kitchen.  I think Berenice mostly snoozed while trying to write in her journal.  Mike went on a errand into town in search of some playing cards for us to use (and he was going a little stir crazy, and while he was gone, Kay invited us all to follow her to a local restaurant with some other folks that had come over to do some work for her (or maybe just use her tools and lumber to teach their kids some carpentry skills? I was never really clear on just what they were doing). We had to wait for Mike to get back before we could go, though while we were waiting, Kay made room in her car for us.  Berenice and Gayela were already all loaded into her "work" car so when Mike came, I just jumped in with him. We ate at a Hawaiian Food place up the road.  Real Hawaiian.  Lau Lau (which we opted not to have ) Lomi Lomi (which contains sometimes raw, sometimes smoked salmon) which we also opted not to have. We had rice, kalua pork with cabbage and some macaroni / potato salad. And a drink. And sweet Kay picked up the tab for all of us. I got up to go pay for the four of us, but she beat me to it.

In the afternoon, we played some cards and got ready to attend the temple that evening.  The session was at 6:30, we wanted to try and be there by 6 pm, and even though the drive should be 30 minutes or less, we never know how bad the traffic will be, so we tried to leave close to 5 pm. And we did! Hurray for us, getting out of the house on time for once. ha. And we did get lost once. We always do, you know. We didn't remember the name of the street to turn on, so we missed it, went down a dead end.  It was all good.

We did not think to take a picture in front of the temple. It was wet and bad been raining when we went, and dark when we got out.

None of us thought to bring one of our "handicap" car hangars for parking. Duh.  We have one in our car for when we drive around Mike's Mom, and she has one in her car. They are both in our cars at home. It would have been easy to stick on in our purse to take along.  So we are not able to park legally in the handicapped parking spaces on this vacation, darn it.

We had an enjoyable time at the temple.  One officiator asked Mike (and I) to be the witness couple, which we would have gladly done. However, Mike said to the guy after he thought about it for a bit, that I was helping his Mom, so it'd be hard for me to sit elsewhere.  Actually, witness couples get back to their seats in time to help the disabled person next to them, but we passed on that one. And I did end up helping Berenice more than I ever have before. Poor Gayela even needed help with one of her shoes before we went in.  Luckily, they were able to have a dress for her to use there. That was the only thing that didn't fit into her suitcase.  Berenice knew almost everyone she saw in the temple this evening.  That was nice.  And she's also forgetting more of the temple stuff than ever before.  It'd been a while since she'd gone, and she wasn't really comfortable. Plus, people WHISPER in the temple, and when you're pretty deaf, you miss a lot. A big lot of stuff.

Regular drive home to our pad, I came straight to my room to catch up on blogging for a bit. Mike and Gayela and Mom played a hand or two of "Kings in the Corner" and Mike killed a couple of cockroaches. Oh, it rained most of today. Not really hard, but fairly steady.  I wanted to try to rent a kayak to take out to Kealakekua Bay tomorrow, but the rain is supposed to continue through tomorrow. Darn. I want GOOD weather to paddle across the bay, please. I'd love to go snorkeling out there, too. It's a marine reserve with coral and fish. I forgot to mention that yesterday afternoon, I went for a walk around the bay area. I never saw much in the water.  I used to. I had a walk a long way before I even found crabs on the rocks. And snails.   Very surprising. I hope I can get in the water at some point and see something pretty.                                                                                                                                                           

No comments: