Thursday, December 21, 2017

Wednesday, December 20, 2017

Mike and i REALLY slept in this morning. It rained most of the night long, a steady drizzly rain, no heavy wind or storms, just rain. I think Kay may have upgraded the roof, because the other time we stayed in the shed, you could hear every drop that hit the roof, and it was amplified, like on a metal roof. This time, it was just more normal roof sounds.

About 8:30 am we finally went inside.  Mike was really sleeping that long, and that soundly. I think he gets his best sleep in the mornings sometimes.  I was sleeping at 7 or 7:30 am when Kay left in her big van. I heard her husband, Michael, leave around 5: 00 a.m. or 5:30. I heard MY Mike get up in the night at least 2 times.  I was actually a little chilly last night.  But I'm not complaining.  The rain has helped to cool the temps, but everything is kind of "soggy." Sheets. Newspapers. Clothes.

Gayela said, "How does eggs and bacon sound for breakfast?"  So that's what I made. But I had to find and scour another two bowls, another plate, four forks, the frying pan.  Ugh. Such dirty dishes. It's not food on them (usually), jsut grime from sea/salt air and dust and bugs.  But dirt, none the less. Mike did do all the juice this morning while I make scrambled eggs, toast and bacon. Kay keeps dropping off food for us... this time she brought some (rather aged) sticky buns.  Mom and I ate one of those, too.  It was a very filling breakfast.  I'll have to make sure that I take out our nearly full bucket of compost in the morning!!

After Breakfast, we were all kind of sitting around saying, What do you want to do?  We knew we had (tentative) plans to take Kay and Michael out to dinner this evening, be we had not confirmed it with Kay yet.  Gayela had some shopping she wanted to do, I wanted to do some price comparisons of the chocolate mac nuts we planned to bring home... so I made a list and  Gayela and I left Mike and his Mom at the house and we left . it was around noonish when we left, maybe earlier. Still raining. Mike kind of woke up with a headache, so he was happy to stay inside.

Rain dripping into a basin on the statue.

The farmers market (parking lot) during the rain with a mountain peeking out of rain clouds.


Down tbe street is a yard with tree. The trunk is covered with fishing net floats.


Typical outlets and switches at Kay's. It took a while to figure out what switches went to what lights. And we didnt use many lights. We were also cautioned about not leaving lights on because electricity is so expensive in Hawaii.


We price checked the candy and nuts, checked out the Keauhou shopping center to see if there was a place to eat there, then stopped at the Farmer's market. Parking was practically non-existent, but I eventually parked and we found Kay to confirm dinner arrangements. I also shopped for an aprong for me. It was a want, not a need.  And Gayela found a dress she liked and wanted. I took some cash from Mike to purchase some papaya and apple bananas for us to eat. When we met with Kay, we decided to meet at a Thai restaurant in that shopping center when she was done for the day at the Market.  I acutally suggested Chinese or Mexican and she didn't say yes to either, just "Do you folks like Thai?  It's very healthy."  So we ate Thai food, family style in a not-very-family friendly style restaurant at the Keauhou Shopping Center. It was good food, but not terribly generous portions and not very "share-able" sort sof dishes.  I don't know.  It was good, but just not what I expeced at all. It just seemed more like Chinese food to me in a lot of ways. Noodles, rice, shrimp. Just peanut sauce for the spring rolls instead of sweet and sour.  We said our Goodbyes to the Wilson's there and headed to McDonalds for a hot fudge Sundae to top it off. ha. We are SO American!  Gotta have that sweet dessert. Mike stopped to buy a newspaper on the way home, too.  And we got petrol for tomorrow's drive.
Dinner at the Royal Thai Restaurant.


The other parts of the day were spent playing some cards in our little space, and having snacks, treating mosquito bites, doing math to find the best deals on chocolate covered mac nuts, reading the paper.  Very low-key kind of vacation. Lots of naps for Mike. As I type this, it's only 10:20 pm and he's sound asleep and has been dozing since 9:30 this evening!

Once, while driving down Alii drive into Kailua Kona from where we are staying in Capt'n Cook, I thought I might have seen a whale out in the ocean!  But it was too quick of a glimpse, and I couldn't get down to a shore access to really stand there and stare for a while. I will count that as having seen a whale on this trip. It was not a boat, but I did see a boat after I turned around and tried to find shore access...I think it was a whale watching little boat and I do belief it was "chasing" the one I saw. :-)  Even though I'm pretty sure they are not allowed to "Chase" the whales.

Oh, I also called about doing a kayak and snorkel venture (adventure) out to the Captain Cook Monument.  I called and booked it for Saturday.  If the Carls can only visit on Saturday, then, Oh Well. I guess they'll just have to go without me. It's a four hour trip to paddle a kayak across the bay , snorkel a while, then paddle back to the beach. And they leave just down the street from where we are staying, so I can just walk. I booked the one for 11:30 a.m on Saturday. Hope the weather cooperates and the rain really does stop by then and that it's clear and warm. Gayela and I had booked a boad andn snorkel thing three years ago, but it was cancelled because of high winds.  Friday is supposed to be windy, but not Saturday. Cross fingers.

No comments: