Saturday, July 14, 2018

Summer begins!

It's been a couple of years since we've had a decent garden. This one is shaping up nicely.  Actually, I think the Jolly Green Giant had something to do with  my tomato vines. They are enormous!

I don't really have an apricot tree. But the people down the street and around the corner do, and the house has renters who gave me permission to pick them. So I did. And I bottled 14 quarts of apricots. Sugar snap peas have been great from our back yard...Anaheim peppers are quite prolific. I have more than 20 and I think I need to make some chili rellenos. Mmm. I've only picked 2 zucchini from the one plant that has survived so far.  Raspberries are fading out, but we sure have enjoyed them lots this season. I made a batch of raspberry jam last night. Not freezer jam, the kind you can take home with you if you come to visit me . ;-)

The bad part is:  The weather in our area is threatening rain. In fact it HAS rained and flooded in nearby areas. When there is severe weather like that, they turn off our irrigation ditch water for some reason.  I guess they don't want to flood us?ha.  There is also a pump broken on one of the city water wells and we've been asked not to use culinary water for outdoor watering.  That's okay. It's going to rain, right?  Well, not at my house. It has drizzled, got the leaves wet, but not watered the lawn and not watered the garden or trees. And I'm not supposed to water with the hose...and there's no irrigation water, either!  How dry will it get before I start being disobedient and watering with my hose?

No comments: