Sunday, February 7, 2021

Being sick during a pandemic

 When you get sick during the time of a pandemic, it really makes you think twice about things. The symptoms may not be the same, but you still wonder. And wonder. And you might even get tested. 

A couple of months ago I had a bit of a cold / cough. I wasn't horribly sick, but was sick enough to stay home and sleep and rest and get over it. Luckily, rest seems to be a great healing source for my body. I was over it quickly, but word still got around that I had COVID-19 . Somehow.  I did not. 

Mike did have it in January, and recovered fairly quickly. He still tires quickly, but some of that is just because of old age.

 Saturday evening, I was having some lower gastrointestinal distress. Lots of loud grumbling. Lots of pain. I knew something was coming. And it did. I had worked really hard all day, sorting and organizing contents of boxes. But that little bout of diarrhea just did me in. It must have been some sort of a little bug. I ended up in bed, having chills, and had a raging fever during the night! My lower intestines were feeling a little beat up, my stomach felt a little bit queasy, but a fever will always make you feel exhausted and drained. It did!

 Gail and her family came in to Cedar in the early evening Saturday, but I just went to bed. Mike fix them some dinner and I slept. Before I slept, I was able to hear Mike puttering in our new kitchen. It was so cute. That was about the first time he had used our stove. The new gas range top. He's decided he likes it. He is still learning where things are in the kitchen, as am I. But we're working it out.

As for Sunday? It was our turn to attend to church in person. I opted to stay home and in my jammies and listen to/watch the broadcast of the meetings. Gail and her family loaded up the stuff they came for, and they headed back to NevadaSunday morning. Mike and Joyce Christensen stopped by to pick up stuff for Nick. Mike wanted to show off our new bathroom, but I wouldn't let him. I didnt want any one in my bedroom. It's one of the messiest places in the house right now...

 My stomach is settled. My fever is gone. But I am still quite drained. We jokingly refer to that as being a little bit pooped out. But that was only part of it! I was so sick last night, and this is notable, that I didn't even want to watch my TV show on BYU TV that I have been binge-watching lately. That's how poorly I felt. Today is going to be a restful one. I will probably fall asleep doing the crossword puzzle in the Sunday paper. And Mike is going to watch all of the Super Bowl pregame stuff and report to me what the best commercials were during the game tonight.

We did enjoy some excellent meetings, virtually, for church today. In my jammies. I will be so glad when we can meet together with our Ward in person all the time. And actually greet people! I remember when we did begin meeting again when the pandemic was loosening up some of the restrictions. I felt a little, shall we say, nervous? I felt like there were too many people, I felt like they were too close! As soon as the meeting was over, even though we had been social distancing during it, I did not stay and visit like Mike did. I made a beeline for the exit and went straight to the car. Next week we will be able to meet as an entire Ward. I wonder if I will feel the same? Up to this point, in recent months, we have been meeting 1/2 of the ward at a time. It makes for a smaller group.


 Oh, it will be so nice when this pandemic has over! Will we ever be back to normal again?

No comments: