Saturday, October 9, 2021

Power in Pink, October 9, 2021

 This was a first for me this morning. They have been doing this for 9 years now.

 I went to the canyon park and gathered with others in support of Breast Cancer Awareness  and support for those going through treatment. There are many. There are many who did not survive, so we walked in honor and memory for them, too. I happened to meet up with a friend from campus, so we walked the canyon trail together. I think we did a couple of miles. Running or walking a 5 K was an option, but it's best that I not push too hard on these old hips of mine. I did okay, but did need to slow down the last little while.

There was a program and speeches before, the walk, treats and prizes after. Fun group. Good cause. Glad I went.


Thanks, Camille (or, Dean Thomas), for being my walking buddy and sharing travel stories, LISTENING to my travel tales and educating me on how to better breathe as a runner. Because, maybe someday  I will get back in shape and be able to run! ( Said the old fat lady as she waddled down the walking path...)





Lots of signs were placed along the start of our trail to honor those who have fought or are fighting breast cancer. 

It really was beautiful morning. Cold. Wet from rain the day and night before. We even had hail at 2 am that woke me up!

Note the sweatshirt? It's the pink Alaska sweatshirt that Laura bought when we all were there for Dad's 80th birthday in 2011.  If you are reading my blog and don't know my family, Laura is my sweet sister-in-law who died of metastisized breast cancer last year. David let me have her sweatshirt. I thought it was the perfect PINK thing to wear for this event. (And it was warm!) 

Out participation medals were square metal --aluminum?-- tags on a lanyard. Kind of different. They look like conference badges, but are metal.

This poster has a photo of Gail's dear sweet friend from High School, Christy Perkins. She also did not survive.  She is a noble soul who also left way too soon. She chronicled her cancer journey in a blog I tearfully followed. She was a  very  talented writer.

BUT-- there are many, many of my friends, co-workers and loved ones who HAVE survived a breast cancer diagnosis, and I'm grateful for them all!!
Cousin Christi, neighbor and friend Nancy, co-workers Susan and Marsha and Donna...and so many more.
πŸ’•πŸ’•πŸ’• πŸ’•πŸ’•πŸ’•πŸ’•πŸ’•πŸ’•πŸ’•πŸ’•πŸ’•πŸ’•πŸ’•πŸ’•πŸ’•πŸ’•πŸ’•πŸ’•





1 comment:

Donna said...

Love the tribute to Laura’s sweatshirt. How fun to wear that to the event. I think of her often.