Monday, May 15, 2023

Quichapa has a Recreation Area?

 Like, an official one with the brown signs by the road? It does!

Quichipa is a flat, usually dry lake west of Cedar City. My folks used to live out "by the shores of Lake Quichipa."

Quichipa had a causeway? It does!

Quichipa had lots of birds? It does!

Quichipa is filling up? It is!

Mike and I went on a little adventure Saturday afternoon. (After my hike and AFTER I had soaked in a hot, hot, hot jetted tub with Epsom salts for a way long time. Ahhhh. I felt like a new woman. Plus three ibuprofenšŸ˜‰)

One of Mike's favorite things to do this season is to check on coal Creek and see how the water is flowing. It is high. There is a lot of snow runoff from our bonus water year this winter. He is loving monitoring how high it is in the creek each time he drives by. I have accompanied him a few times. This time we followed it out to the valley...In a roundabout way. He also showed me just outside of town in our city's industrial area how they are running large 2 ft in diameter black plastic culvert pipes into gravel pits. Lots of water will be filling those pits and replenishing our underground aquifers eventually. It is much better than turning it loose in the valley where it used to go. Now there are houses in those flat areas! This is a much better option.

Out on the shores of Lake Quichipa where mom and I had driven out there earlier, there was water on some of the roads we drove on and we did not ever find a causeway that I looked for. The water on the driving road is now all dried up. However, places where we did drive on dry ground are now covered by the filling lake! Mike and I drove further and further on dirt roads and found the causeway, bird life and bird song, flowing water, mud, and a filling shallow lake. Happy news for a drought stricken area. Some photos for your enjoyment and for my memory.

This is where Mom and I went a few weeks ago. I parked where there is now water!





The causeway area.







No comments: