Thursday, May 25, 2023

San Antonio May 2023

 There are many reasons to be in Texas this week. Number one is for Braeden's high school graduation from Claudia Taylor (Ladybird) Johnson High School.  But we also were able to celebrate with cheesecake with Pamela for HER birthday (which was the day previous to our arrival). AND Damian and Tandy's 22nd anniversary is today.

Mike and I and Pam drove up to Salt Lake City very very early on Wednesday the 24th. Kaylee drove us to the airport. It's much further from their new house than it was from their previous one in Kearns, but we'll be gone for 2 weeks, so they were nice enough to agree to that. Otherwise, we might have flown from Las Vegas and had to pay for parking for 2 weeks.  Maybe Nick can make use of Mike's truck while it's at Nick's house. Perhaps. He IS building a shed, after all.

The trip, both driving to Salt Lake and Flying to San Antonio, was uneventful. We did have an hour or so delay in Denver, but it wasn't a deal-breaker for us since we had no connecting flight from San Antonio.  Pam truly hates to travel, we flew Southwest Airlines, but we able to find seats fairly close together.

We had some Burger King food on the drive home, which Damian was kind enough to pick up for us. We had had lunch in Salt Lake, but that was close to noon, and we didn't get to SA until 7 pm.

We visited with the grandkids and Tandy, sang Happy Birthday to Pam




And we were just plum tuckered out after a long day of travel, so we headed off to bed by 10 pm. Kids had school and work, so it was good to retire early. Ish.

Especially since Mike seldom sleeps well when NOT in his own bed.  Last night (Wednesday the 24th) was no exception.  His shoulder got out of joint or something and he was miserable and unable to fix it from about 2:30 a.m. on.  So, he's been a sleepy-head all day.  Eventually Damian was able to manipulate it just a little and it kind of clicked in, but the pain and damage was alread done. 

I had a lovely time, however. I slept pretty well, we had cereal for breakfast and for lunch I headed over to New Braunfel's TX to meet my dear friend Milly from High School.   She lives in Austin. Yes, we've known each other about 50 years or so.  Haven't seen each other for a decade or two and we can just pick back up, chat and it is like old times.  Friends like that are keepers for sure, and she's definitely one of mine.  We ate at Black's BBQ, but mostly just chatted about kids and grandkids and life. Fun times.

And I only got lost (made wrong turns) twice and that was on the way back home. :)

 Even sucking in the tummy, I'm still just a fat and happy ol' lady. And that's okay.  
We only MET at Buc-ee's gas station. That place cracks me up. It's just so big, like to point out that EVERYthing's big in Texas. haha.

Milly and I have each other's contact information now. I hope we'll be in touch more often. Next year, 2024, is our 50 year HS reunion.  I can't believe that.  I'm not that old in my brain, you see.  I think that me and Bonnie and Sandy and Milly DEFINITELY need to plan a girls' trip of some kind. Or at the minimum meet up in Hooks or Texarkana.  That's not a very long time away from now.

Oh, and this afternoon, I swam for a bit i the pool. Mike floated around while I was gone. Tandy and Damian did, too.  The weather is lovely. Tonight (Thursday) Damian and Tandy are going out for their anniversary and we'll be here at home with the kids and Pam for dinner. I understand that Braeden is preparing a chicken dish for us. 

How Mike relaxes for Vacation (he was so tired from the pain and lack of sleep last night)


MY vacation mode is more like this:

Ahhhh. Pool side time. The mosquitos hadn't found me yet.









No comments: