Friday, August 10, 2012

Pease Porridge Hot

Funny story.  I picked a bunch of peas when we got back from Mexico, put them in a bag in my fridge.  Kind of forgot about them, but by the time we got some more picked and I shelled all of them last night, it was a good-enough sized bowl to make a nice side dish to go with dinner.  So I put them in a pan, added a little bit of water and was just cooking them on low last night while attempting to blog.  Then I became distracted.  I went outside and sat on the porch and visited with Mike.  Then some neighbors came out, and we chatted over the wall; another neighbor joined in.  By then it was dark and I came in, but only to avoid the mosquitos that would probably be finding me soon.  I came into a house that smelled of bacon, of all things.  I wasn't cooking bacon, I thought to myself.  How come the bacon smell? And then I saw my pot of peas on the stove.  Thoroughly burned to a crisp--and to the bottom of the pan!  That was probably the ONLY peas we will have from our garden, and now they were ruined.  I felt really bad.  But not so badly that I didn't appreciate the fact that I'd not burned up the kitchen!!

So, you know the nursery rhyme:

Pease porridge hot,
Pease porridge cold,
Pease porridge in the pot
Nine days old.

I think it will take nine days of scrubbing to get the black out of the bottom of  my pot.  Who knew burned peas smelled slightly of bacon cooking??!! 

No comments: