Sunday, June 28, 2020

I-15 and the Washes of Southern California

A year ago, Mike was making frequent trips to Southern California to assist my cousin Christi with a home repair project.  One week I went with him.

I've always noticed the funny names of the ditches and washes that the freeway crosses through the desert, so I took it upon myself to write them down and create some sort of funny story about the, maybe how they got their names, or something like that.

And then I lost my list.

Then I found it. But lost it again.   And ditto that a few more times. I wanted to keep it. Maybe...

Paper is the bain of my existence!  I have a love/hate relationship with it.  I love paper records and recording things on paper, but sometimes it just gets to be TOO MUCH PAPER, you know?

I found the paper once more and THIS time, I am recording it digitally so I can throw that stupid piece of paper away.

I don't really have time or desire to write a funny story about these names right now.  I'm trying to get ready to move the west side of my house over to the east side of my house in preparation for a major remodel job.  Did I mention we finally have a building permit?  Finally.   Work should proceed beginning Monday, June 29 with a concrete pour of the footings for our addition.

BUT--
Here are the names of the ditches. If you feel so inclined to share your version of how these names came to be, and perhaps compile a delightful piece of fiction or silliness, feel free. Share it in the comments section. ;-)

Turtle Ditch
Moby Ditch
Dock Ditch
Rocky Wash
Bird Ditch
Telephone Wash
Midway Ditch
Cady Wash
Wild Wash
Power Line Wash


That's all the names I found on one particular drive.  Maybe they are still there, maybe not.  But the names are now saved so I can throw away this silly piece of paper!

https://meganedwards.com/2017/05/22/ditches-san-berdoo-county/


Apparently, I'm not the only one who thinks this way!  See above blog. ha. I think I like Megan Edwards.  The comments are enlightening as well.   SHE found 17 and photographed the signs. And, to be fair, she was just counting "Ditches" in San Bernardino County.  I included "Washes" and "Ditches" anywhere I found them in the desert between Las Vegas and Los Angeles.  If I add up hers with mine, there are 23 names we found. So here are the rest of them:

Calico Ditch
Yermo Ditch
Tono Ditch
Marl Ditch
Opah Ditch
Oat Ditch
Tork Ditch
Case Ditch
Shee Ditch
Dale Ditch
Valley Wells Ditch
Wells Ditch
Clark Mountain Ditch


Again, if you feel so inclined to share your version of how these names came to be, and perhaps compile a delightful piece of fiction or silliness, feel free. Share it in the comments section. ;-)

1 comment:

Donna said...

that is hilarious!