Sunday, August 6, 2023

Elder Renlund

 A week ago, I was asked to say the opening prayer on our Ward's Sacrament meeting. That's not a hard thing to do. I got there on time, stopped by my primary classroom, moved a table, chatted with my friend, Jackie on our way into the chapel.  She was kind enough to tell me I had lipstick on my teeth, so I was busy doing a quick swipe of that as I walked in at the back, saw an empty seat near some neighbors and plopped down. 

My neighbor leaned over during the prelude music and said, "Did you see Elder Renlund sitting on the stand?" 

Really? An Apostle? How cool. I looked up, and ,no, I could NOT see him at all. The podium was blocking my view of that particular seat on the stand. Oh well. 

Our Bishop opened the meeting, recognized Elder Renlund, announced song, prayer....

And when I went up to say the opening prayer, I couldn't even look his way. I focused my eyeballs on the microphone so I'd walk that way instead of tripping or something else embarrassing. 

Said the prayer. Sat down. Still never saw him until he stood up to speak at the end of our meeting. His remarks were touching, entertaining, in a sweet way, but also powerful. He bore testimony of our Savior and I was happy to add my "Amen" to his. I went to Primary after that. I have no idea if they attended Relief Society and Priesthood meeting or Sunday School or not. 

But it is nice to have a theater-lover drop into our ward who also happens to be an Apostle of Jesus Christ.  He was in town attending Utah Shakespeare Festival plays. Apostles take August off and don't travel to Stake and Regional Conferences. Janet Seegmiller says he has been coming for years. Nice man. Humble, normal. Yet a prophet.  I'm glad I was able to share a pulpit with him. 

And I was happy to share it with my Bishop and the Bradshaw's, too . And Lincoln &Emma Stone who sang, "I Know That My Redeemer Lives."




No comments: